Kodi has been the most sought-after media players in the world of streaming. The powerful streaming app has been the preferred one thanks to its high-end performance. It can double up as your one-stop solution for all the requirements you may have in terms of media streaming.
More than the media playing abilities, what makes it even more exciting is the availability of add-ons that help you stream content from virtually any part of the world. What makes it even more interesting is the fact that it is available for almost all devices and platforms. How would you install Kodi on Roku? Let us find it in the following paragraphs.
What Is Kodi?
If you are someone who loves movies, TV shows, and music – the recent times have presented host streaming devices that work wonders. A few good examples are Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, and Roku.
With that many numbers of streaming devices, it would be practical to have a media organizer that would help you keep up with your streaming devices. One such excellent choice for media organizer is Kodi. Kodi, for the uninitiated, is the free software that would help you manage your media collection and let you stream movies and TV shows from the internet. If you have Roku, you would definitely want to install Kodi on it.
But, but, but… you cannot install Kodi on Roku as you would normally do with other devices. Kodi is based on C/C++ and Roku does not support it. This is the reason why Kodi has no official version for Roku.
A word of caution should be quite practical here. Please note that Kodi offers you the option to stream content from virtually any part of the world through the use of add-ons. However, not all these add-ons are created or managed by Kodi. Streaming the paid content on Kodi may not be a good practice and can land you in you in trouble for copyright infringement issues.
If you still want to use Kodi add-ons to stream the paid content, we would advise you to opt for a good VPN service.
Check out the iTube Apk installation Guide for All devices.
Use Kodi on Your Roku through Casting
The best option to use Kodi on Roku is to use the Casting option available on your Android device. Here is how you can do it –
- Make sure both your Android device and Roku are on the same WiFi network.
- Enable Screen Mirroring on your Roku device. Here is how you can do it –
- Press Home button on your Roku Remote.
- Go to Settings -> Screen Mirroring.
- Choose Enable Screen Mirroring and then press OK.
- Enable Screen Mirroring on your Android device.
- Please note that all Android devices come with Screen Mirroring functionality.
- The functionality may be named differently on each of those devices.
- Check the exact location of the option on your Android. It should be available on Display, Cast, or Network options.
That should do it. You will now be able to cast the content from the official Roku app on your Android to your Roku device.
How To Use Kodi On Roku With Windows PC
The procedure involved in using Kodi on your Roku through your Windows PC again makes use of the casting or screen mirroring. Windows can project the display onto the Wireless Display and this is the feature that we would be using on Roku for streaming the content on your Roku device.
Here are the steps involved
- On your Windows device, launch Action Centre. You can do that by clicking on the icon on the bottom right.
- Click on Project.
- Click on Connect To A Wireless Display.
- Windows will now search for the wireless displays around you. Make sure that both your Roku and Windows device are on the same WiFi.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete setting up Roku as the wireless display.
That does it. You have successfully added your Roku as the streaming device. You can now access Roku from your Action Centre any time you want to.
Use Kodi on Roku Through Your Android TV
If you have an Android TV or smart TV, pairing it with your Roku device should be quite easy. You can follow the steps indicated here.
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Go to Settings -> Screen mirroring.
- Choose Enable Screen Mirroring and then click on OK.
That should do it. You have Kodi on your Roku and mirrors the content s on the big screen.
The Final Thoughts
Kodi is officially not available on Roku as yet. That is precisely why you would not find any method that would let you install Kodi on your Roku device. There is no compatible version, at least as of now. As of now, Kodi is available only in C/C++ environment and since Roku does not support the infrastructure as yet, it may not be possible to install Kodi even unofficially for Roku.
Until the time a supported version is made available by the developers of Kodi, you may need to depend upon the other devices that support Kodi and stream or cast the contents from those devices to your Roku.
Have you used any of these methods to makes use of Kodi on your Roku device? Which of these methods did you find more useful? Do share your experiences with respect to Kodi on your Roku device.